Saturday, August 14, 2010

No more sticky floor

So this week was only a couple of hours of work on the Airstream, seems like there is always something taking priority over the remodel. I'm impatient, I suppose. After all, I'm the one who has to live in the Airstream during the week, and I don't do well living in a mess. I lay down to go to sleep, and end up fixating on some random screw that looks like it held something, somehow, about 30 years ago, and it's all I can do to not crawl out of bed, grab a screwdriver, and remove it. So I get impatient, I just want it done so I can live in a nice environment during the week.

The new dump valve (red handle on the left, by the pump).
I got the dump valve replaced, but the valve that I replaced it with is about an inch longer than the one that was leaking. Woud not be a big deal, except that the old valve was plumbed right up to the side of the wall. So now, the new valve is wedging the main water line up the wall about 2 inches. Since this is a PEX line, I don't want to...wait, CAN'T cut it. So it looks like I'll have to relocate the drain hole about an inch further from the wall. Just like everything else, when remodeling anything that is 32 years old, everything that you fix creates more things to be fixed, and nothing is simple.

Before - sticky-yicky~~~
The Previous Owner (PO) had pulled up the flooring for us. Unfortunately, the flooring was glued down directly to the subfloor. It was a off while linoleum, done with 12X12 squares. Now that the floor is out, the adhesive is still there on the subfloor. The floor is so sticky in places that it actually caught one of the mice on night 2, as it was trying to get to the mousetrap. We had a few boards put down to walk on, but if you got off the boards (which were kind of like a catwalk), you got stuck to the floor just like the mouse. Since the last thing I am going to do is the subfloor and new flooring, I've implemented an interim flooring solution by covering and stapling in place several old blankets. The red floor in the kitchen was actually the drape that the PO had up between the kitchen & bathroom. So now we can walk everwhere in the Airstream and we won't get stuck. That's going to make the rest of the remodel much easier.
No more sticky toes!!!





The futon is turning out to be the perfect size to build into the front area. But I'm going to have to do something about the comfort factor. Even after Amber bought one of those memory foam toppers, it's still pretty hard and I think it's not good for my back.

Next week will be two nights getting the bath completely stripped. Coming along, but not as quickly as I'd like. My boss told me I was the most impatient person he'd ever met. All I could say was "I'm 50% done with my life but only 20% done with all that I want to do. What do you expect"? He just stared at me like I was from outer space. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment