Sunday, August 1, 2010

Stripping in the potty

Bath cabinet after citristrip spray
This week, I bought some citristrip and started taking off the old, gross paint in the bath. First, if you are thinking of using citristrip, lemme give you some advice borne of experience. If you want to take off not only the paint, but the vinyl, right on down to the bare metal, use the spray can. It will bubble up after about 4 or 6 hours, and you can rip it right off. You may need to use several coats, and you will have to deal with the vinyl in the seams, overlaps, and cracks with a knife or something. This stuff works wonders, but I was not prepared to go down to the bare metal here. Oh well.

Vinyl after the citristrip gel
So I ran down to the local hardware store and bought some of the citristrip gel. Brushed that on the other cabinet, and an hour later, the paint was coming off but the vinyl stayed put nicely. This is how I wanted it to go - so much easier.  I also fixed all of the holes in the plastic wraparound & overhead, and will scrub down the tub surround and walls.

I pulled out the janky bath pocket door and all associated hardware. It looks as if I'll be able to use the hardware, but I'm going to want to build another door.

Vent screen frames
I found someone locally that was parting out a 1971 Sovereign for his rebuild, and I stopped by to peruse what he was getting rid of. I was hoping that the original furnace was a NT-30 like we have, but it was a NT030A and does not use the same motor. So next purchase will be a motor for our furnace. Also picked up a few vent fan screens, so now there will be fewer critters I hope. I began stripping the old vent screen frames, and I think this week I'll strip all of the screen frames as well as the bedroom ceiling, maybe.

Can't wait to get this thing out camping with the fam....Tahoe, Portland, San Diego.....too much fun in store for the AM Club!!!

2 comments:

  1. yea! I love the AM club!!! Good work sissy.. I know all your skills come in handy huh? I love the entertainment you provide my other wise dull life! Love to you all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the entire AM Club can come visit you soon Lari, we miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete